THE FULBRIGHT STUDENT AWARD TO THE UNITED STATES 2021-2022
The candidates will be selected through open, merit-based competition to participate in graduate level programs in any field except clinical disciplines. Each year scholarships are offered to Romanian citizens for the first year of master’s program or for one academic year of student research (non-degree). Second-year costs for the Romanian Fulbright master’s students may be covered depending on funds availability as well as on proof of good academic standing during the first year of study.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
• have Romanian citizenship; green card holders and persons with dual (Romanian and U.S.) citizenship are ineligible;
• hold at least a Bachelor’s degree, with good academic standing; undergraduate students can also compete, if they are in their final Bachelor’s year at university;
• have English proficiency;
• if applying in law, candidates must hold a degree in that field.
THE APPLICATION PACKAGE consists of:
• the online application: https://apply.iie.org/ffsp2021;
• three letters of recommendation from university professors and/or other acknowledged Romanian or foreign professionals;
• academic transcripts and diplomas for all undergraduate and graduate levels, uploaded to the online application, accompanied by translations.
TOEFL/GRE/GMAT test scores are mandatory only for the applicants who pass the Fulbright interview phase in September.
AWARD BENEFITS: The Student Fulbright Award provides: international travel, tuition and university fees within established budget limits as well as accident/sickness insurance and monthly maintenance allowance. The grant also offers books and supplies allowance.
Application deadline: May 11, 2020
THE ASSESSMENT PROCEDURES
• applications are pre-screened;
• the assessment of study/research projects is performed by Fulbright alumni and leading Romanian and U.S. scholars in the respective fields of knowledge;
• the applicants recommended by reviewers will be invited to an interview carried out by a bi-national panel, in the first half of September;
• the nominated finalists are subject to final approval by the Foreign Scholarship Board (FSB – http://eca.state.gov/fulbright).
ADMISSION AND AFFILIATION TO U.S. UNIVERSITIES
The Institute of International Education in New York (IIE) will team up with the Romanian-U.S. Fulbright Commission in order to carry out the Romanian finalists’ admission and affiliation process to accredited U.S. universities.
The duration of the entire selection process is approximately 12 months; as a result, the Fulbright Student Award competition is advertised a year before the grant starts. Affiliation of the Fulbright Student Award finalists will be concluded in May-July. Exchanges will begin in August – September, the year following the application.
A complete announcement of the 2021-2022 Fulbright Student Award is available at: